Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Prophet's Prayer

Read this prayer from A.W. Tozer uttered in 1920 at his induction . Amazing how relevant this is to our day. Thanks to Bill Muehlenberg for posting this, you can read his full article on the link at the end.

Lord Jesus,
I come to Thee for spiritual preparation. Lay Thy hand upon me. Anoint me with the oil of the New Testament prophet. Forbid that I should become a religious scribe and thus lose my prophetic calling.
Save me from the curse that lies dark across the modern clergy, the curse of compromise ,of imitation, of professionalism.
Save me from the error of judging a church by it's size, it's popularity or the amount of it's yearly offering.
Help me remember that I am a prophet-not a promoter,not a religious manager, but a prophet.
Let me never become a slave to the crowds.Heal me of carnal ambitions and deliver me from the itch for publicity.
Save me from the bondage to things. Let me not waste my days puttering around the house.
Lay Thy terror upon me,O God, and drive me to the place of prayer where I may wrestle with principalities and powers and the rulers of the darkness of this world.
Deliver me from over eating and late sleeping.Teach me self discipline that I may be a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

All I can add to that is Amen!

So Who Wants To Be a Prophet?

No comments:

Post a Comment